Monday, April 17, 2017

Jasper, Alberta - April 17, 2017 (Day 4)

My journey today started at 6AM about 30KM outside of Jasper, Alberta, off Highway 93. Here I found one of the most beautiful and powerful waterfalls Jasper's National Park has to offer; the Athabasca Falls.



4KM from the Athabasca Falls was Kerkeslin which provided an unexpected eerie but beautiful view of Mount Christie. Something about the way the fog covers the forest and mountains gives me the heebie-jeebies and sends shivers down my spine. One moment the mountains can be seen and within seconds they vanish.


I continued my trek for what felt like forever, hiking through all kinds of difficult terrains. Along the way I met an elderly couple who gladly joined me and helped me get a small video clip, the only thing they asked for in return was that I go first...


You can tell by the erosion on the rocks and the surrounding clay, that during the summer, this field is submerged, turning a rocky field into a small lake or creek. Knowing this I felt a tad uneasy stepping out onto the field, worrying that the ground beneath me may not be very solid. The mountains surrounding this field are ice glaciers, and although they appear frozen and still, water flows down beneath the snow and ice into the ground below the rocks. The water found beneath the rocks is actually quite warm, and draws much wildlife from the woods. Areas such as these are the best places to spot bears, wolves, elk and moose as they are drawn out by the warm water. 

My trek from Kerkeslin to Sunwapta Falls was approximately 18KM, but once I reached my destination the pair of twin waterfall provided a spectacular view that was well worth the effort. 


Tired from my journey thus far, I decided to sit down and enjoy the view and do a little self reflecting and soul searching only to be interrupted by this friendly Raven. 


Being the odd ball I am I sat there for a good 20 minutes talking to him and he slowly got closer and closer. A gentleman snapping pictures of the Raven offered to hold my camera and snap a few photos while I continued talking to the bird. Ravens are known in native mythology to be mischief makers, I suppose he sensed the mischievousness in me and decided that we were meant to be friends. He hoped on aboard my shoulder and continued to listen intently to my voice. I won't lie as much as it was a cool experience a small voice inside me was whispering please don't gauge my eye or snap my ear. 


I embraced the moment and then decided that was enough birdy love and before someone decides to poop on me and wreck the wonderful moment and friendship we had built, it was time to say goodbye. I stood up slowly and he spread his wings and took off!  

Next up was Tangle Falls which would be my last stop before heading to the Glacier Skywalk.

I started to get stressed on my way to Tangle Falls, my shuttle for the Glacier Skywalk would arrive at 2:30PM and I was starting to cut it close... so I did something I never do... I... RAN! It was more like sprinting cause I swear I think I stopped every 2 minutes, but regardless I was fast tracking for quite some time alternating between running and fast walking. And a miracle occurred... I arrived with 10 minutes to spare = )


The Glacier Skywalk only lasted about 1 hour, and then I was on a shuttle heading back to my hostel. It was 5PM when I arrived, I packed up my things, put everything in the SUV and then hit the road to head to Banff. It was a 3.5 hour drive, arriving around 8:30PM. I took a nice shower, ate, went through my pictures and now here I am blogging. I am incredibly sore, and beyond exhausted so I believe tomorrow will be a late start...

Thanks for reading and following along on this crazy adventure. I hope everyone is doing well and smiling =)

- San

2 comments:

  1. Sandra!!!! I am so amazingly happy for you. You really did embrace yourself by saying yes to going on this self-discovery journey. In the olden times, Aboriginal youth went on a vision quest to find their true selves and separate as an individual. You are truly finding your way, surrounded by so much life, amazing sites and adventure. I am so proud of you for really going for it. You will never forget this in your life and these experiences will be with you forever! Love MB, in life and in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, nice gear!!! I am sure that the Gortex come in handy. These clothes have been many places and bring with them many great experiences. LOL

    ReplyDelete