Thursday, April 9, 2015

Bavaria, Germany - Neuschwanstein Castle


April 8, 2015



We woke up in Zurich, Switzerland around 9:00am, had a small breakfast, and hit the open road for Germany. We had approximately 240km ahead of us with an expected 2.5 hour drive, however, some highways in Germany don't have a maximum speed, which makes this trip a little shorter. We drove around 130-140 max on these highways, and people passed us as if we were turtles on the road. Germans, however, are very patient, they don't get all worked up on the road, and I have yet to hear someone honk their horn! The above photo was taken from my hotel balcony, and was definitely a beautiful view to see when I woke up this morning. 



It seems to be a common theme throughout much of Europe to have small but elegant churches in the middle of no where, or high up on a peak where you wonder how anyone even gets there! I also find it strange to see 5 churches in a small village where the population is less than 200 people. On our tour in Switzerland we learned that there was a church for each branch of Catholicism, which is why there are so many. I personally enjoy the architecture and history that churches hold, I also like photographing these beauties and their surrounding cultures/ traditions.     







The closer we got to the Neuchwanstein Castle, the more mountains, lakes, and hillside began to appear. I can truly say that my voyage so far has been pretty amazing and the sights my eyes and mind have taken in has truly been a very reflective and awing experience. 

Seeing many of these breathtaking landscapes along with chatting with locals, as well as, visitors from around the world, has made me appreciate so many things that Canada holds in every sense.    
I must also admit that spending so much time with individuals from across Europe who all speak numerous languages, has evoked a drive and determination within me to also want to learn more. My native language is French, I speak well in English (I like to think so) and I am currently learning Spanish. Once I have Spanish down path I think German will be next up. I've learned to say quite a few things, and I really do enjoy it. 




  





I can't believe I did this... but it happened, and I'm over it. I had McDonalds in Switzerland before leaving and damn was it good. However, as a snack (yes, I have a big appetite and this would not be enough if I were to make it the main course) I got a "chicken box" and inside were... wings!!! Now I haven't been to McDonalds in a long time so maybe I'm just behind the ball but OMG McDonalds has wings and they were actually delicious! I seriously hope this never comes to America (I may need an intervention)! 






We arrive in the village of Hohenschwangau near Füssen in southwest Bavaria, Germany around 2:00pm. 

The photo on the left is the mountain we trekked through to get to the Castle. Now, I could pretend that I'm in amazing shape and say that I trekked through the forest like it were nothing, but that would be a big lie! The truth is I was so sore from our previous two mountain excursions that we took a horse carriage up the mountain and walked very slowly back down (because I had no choice as the horsy-shuttle was closed). 

The forest was absolutely beautiful and the air was so clean and fresh (until the horse took a massive poop right in front of me).   

To be honest, the forest which surrounds the Neuschwanstein Castle was pretty much identical to some trails you would see in the Gatineau Hills (minus the Castles).










The Neuschwanstein Castle was a beautiful experience, however, I left with some mixed emotions. For those of you who travel frequently it is not a stop I would recommend, unless your trip was solely in Germany. I have seen many beautiful castles in France which would put this castle to shame, and the overall experience was also very touristy. You must go in as a group, the wait times are very long and you are herded through the castle quite quickly and are prohibited to take any pictures of the interior. Within 20 mins we had entered and exited the castle. For Photographers, photo opportunities of the exterior are also difficult as there are not many clear views of the castle unless you are in a plane of some sort or higher up in the mountains. 

Now with that being said, I still very much enjoyed my visit, the story behind the castle was interesting and the overall view and day in the surrounding woods was very much appreciated. 






HOHENSCHWANGAU CASTLE


This Castle is not far from the Neuschwanstein Castle, and belonged to the young King of Neuschwanstein's father.


From the castle we were able to get a look at this amazing view of the surrounding mountains, forest, lakes and village, which was truly my highlight of the Neuschwanstein Castle. Once we finished taking in the scenary, we walked back down the hill (about 40mins) then made our way back to our hotel. It was a pretty relax day compared to our last few days of adventure, but the rest was welcomed with arms wide open! Felt great to sleep and enjoy the wilderness surrounding us!

That's it for today folks, hope you enjoyed the entry : )

- San

No comments:

Post a Comment